At Oasis Academy Hobmoor we believe that learning should be a journey of discovery and excitement at all stages. Therefore we aim to provide challenging and engaging learning experiences both in and out of the classroom. Each child will have their own path to walk, their own journey, and we want to ensure that our curriculum and everyday teaching reflects this, so that everyone can end the year feeling like they are confident in their achievements and progress.
Click on the link below to view our Curriculum statement of intent
If you would like to get more information about the Academy's Curriculum please contact Mr Jones - Deputy Principal on 0121 675 3269 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to see the value in what they are learning our pupils' experiences should be firmly rooted in their day-to-day life. We want the lessons our children learn to carry with them outside of our classrooms and build the foundations of a passion for learning. In order to help us do this we want our parents parents to be in the know about what their children are learning each week.
We follow the National Curriculum guidelines through the Cornerstone Curriculum and also offer extra curricular opportunities for learning. Core Subjects covered in our curriculum are:
- English language and literacy – speaking, listening reading and writing play an important in the learning process and are outlined in the National Curriculum and Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum.
- Speaking and listening – we encourage learners to express themselves effectively and confidently for different purposes and audiences and to listen and respond to each other.
- Reading – we teach reading skills daily and provide opportunities to read in all areas of the curriculum. We employ a systematic approach to phonics and other word reading strategies and seek to engender a life-long love of reading. The school is well equipped with a variety of interactive books, audio books and pictures to encourage learners to look, listen, talk and read.
- Writing – learners are encouraged to write for a variety of purposes and are taught the skills needed to become confident writers.
- Mathematics – learners develop their numeracy, problem solving and reasoning skills through a range of practical activities and challenges.
- Science – learners have opportunities to explore and learn about their world. They learn to hypothesise, test their predictions and draw conclusions.
- Information and Communication Technology – learners are equipped with the necessary skills and confidence to successfully function in the changing world of technology.
- Religious Education – we believe that all learners should develop mutual respect and understanding of many different beliefs and cultures. You will have the right to withdraw your child from RE and Collective Worship by written request.
Your child will also study the following Foundation subjects:
- Design Technology
- Physical Education
- Swimming – this is part of the National Curriculum. The school aims for every child to be able to swim before they move to secondary school. Qualified swimming instructors work with the children to teach this important life skill.
- Personal, Social & Health Education and Citizenship
- Sex and Relationship Education – this is taught as part of health education scheme within Key Stage 2. Parents are invited to view all material before it is taught, and have the option of withdrawing their child by written request.
We teach these through our Imaginative Learning Project curriculum that encompasses the National Curriculum. We provide high levels of enjoyment and creativity so that children are inspired to learn.
Visit the Cornerstones page to get an overview of the topics each year cover each term. Click here
Every Child Is an Artist
We actively foster and encourage a love for the arts. Through our ‘Every Child is an Artist’ programme, children are taught a vast range of artistic skills by professional artists. These skills range from painting and ceramics, to digital sound engineering and projection. Children also have the opportunity to display their learning through termly exhibitions within the academy, which are open to the community.
Oasis Academy Hobmoor’s ‘Aspire’ philosophy for learning, underpins the academy’s curriculum. The Aspire programme has become an integral part of school life. Evolving year to year around key elements, our aim is to support and enrich the children’s learning helping them to fulfil their ambitions and to become the very best version of themselves.
Through ‘Aspire’ days, we are keen to create a range of experiences for children and staff, which connect them to the cultural and political organisations in the city. We build a range of activities and events that unlock creative potential and help raise aspirations.
Song of Sounds Phonics Scheme
Phonics in EYFS and KS1 is taught through ‘Song of Sounds’. This is a systematic and synthetic multi-sensory programme, with kinaesthetic, auditory and visual activities that reinforce skills through a variety of learning skills. This highly active approach with songs and body actions, helps children remember every phoneme in order to aid and progress learning.
We believe children learn better, when they are encouraged to use their imagination and apply their learning to engaging contexts. Our curriculum provides lots of learning challenges throughout the academic year that will require children to solve problems, apply themselves creatively and express their knowledge and understanding effectively across the curriculum.
Children progress through four stages of learning in each Imaginative Learning Project (ILP) - Engage, Develop, Innovate and Express.
Each phase of learning allows children to experience a range of visits and trips that provide enrichment opportunities and put learning into real life contexts.